Eastern Connector work continues in Mt. Juliet

Xavier Smith • Updated Oct 20, 2016 at 8:00 AM

Mt. Juliet officials said work continues on the Eastern Connector with noticeable changes coming in the next month.

The Eastern Connector will connect the Beckwith Road interchange with Lebanon Road, which will likely reduce traffic issues on Mt. Juliet Road. The road, just less than 3 miles, is set open by mid-summer 2017, and Mt. Juliet officials said the project is still on pace for that opening.

The road will feature four lanes and a grassy median, along with a bridge to go over the Nashville Eastern railroad, which carries the Music City Star.

Grading is almost complete, while curb and asphalt are being installed. Residents in the area should see beam placements within the next month, while rolling roadblocks will appear on East Division Street while beams are set over the road.

The project is 80 percent funded through Tennessee Department of Transportation and other government agencies. Mt. Juliet will absorb the remaining 20 percent.

LoJac was awarded the project after bidding just less than $13.5 million.

“It’s a very big project for the city. It fulfills a vision set for maybe 10 to 15 years ago,” said Andy Barlow, Mt. Juliet deputy public works director, said as construction began last year. “The vision was to have a connector between Lebanon Road and the interstate. It’ll be a major change in the city and its makeup.”

Barlow said he believes the city will have other north-south connectors in the future, but none as big or impactful as the Eastern Connector.

Recommended for You

    Lebanon Democrat Videos