Get to know Fiddlers Grove: The Forbes Cabin
Jared Felkins firstname.lastname@example.org
Dec 15, 2015 at 1:58 PM
The Forbes Cabin is just one of the many buildings in Fiddlers Grove that represent small rural communities throughout Wilson County.
The cabin was built circa 1810 and located on the property of Mr. and Mrs. Sammie Forbes in the Shop Springs community. It was owned by the family for many years and relocated to Fiddlers Grove in 1992.
The left side is furnished as a replica of a living and sewing room, and the right side as a bedroom. The cabin also has a dog trot in the middle.
Fiddlers Grove Historical Village is on the grounds of the James E. Ward Agricultural Center in Lebanon. It is the mission of Fiddlers Grove to preserve the history of the citizens of Wilson County by preserving buildings, artifacts and oral and written histories. The village reaches out to the public through preservation, interpretation, exhibitions, education, publications and hands-on experiences to increase a better understanding of the history of Wilson County and its way of life.
Groundbreaking ceremonies for the village were held on April 17, 1991.
Dr. G. Frank Burns, a local popular historian, educator and publisher, named Fiddlers Grove. The name was chosen for one of the first settlers, Edward (Neddy) Jacobs, a legendary fiddler who often played his fiddle at his cabin at the Town Spring.
To become a part of this historical journey and help keep the history alive in Fiddlers Grove, have a story relating to one of the buildings or for more information, contact Vickie Eads at the Fiddlers Grove office at 615-443-2626. The office is at the Agricultural Center in Lebanon. Self-guided tours are available Tuesdays through Saturdays from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.