Eligible donors can give red blood cells through either a regular whole blood donation or a double red cell donation, where available. During a double red cell donation, two units of red blood cells are collected while most of the plasma and platelets are returned to the donor. Double red cell donors must meet additional eligibility criteria, which will be determined at the donation appointment.
Donors with all blood types are needed, especially those with types O, A-negative and B-negative. Whole blood can be donated every 56 days, up to six times a year, and double red cells may be donated every 112 days, up to three times per year.
To make an appointment to give blood, download the free Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit redcrossblood.org or call 800-733-2767.
Some upcoming blood donation opportunities in Wilson County include:
• April 17 from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. at St. Frances Cabrini Catholic Church at 300 S. Tarver Ave. in Lebanon.
• April 24 from 8 a.m. until noon at Grace United Methodist Church at 2905 N. Mt. Juliet Road in Mt. Juliet.
• April 25 from 12:30-5:30 p.m. at Faith Lutheran Church at 1655 W. Main St. in Lebanon.
• April 25 from 3-7 p.m. at Maple Hill Church of Christ at 102 Maple Hill Road in Lebanon.
• April 30 from 8 a.m. until 2 p.m. at Tulip Grove Baptist Church at 563 Shute Lane in Old Hickory.