Leave Feedback

no avatar

Christmas Eve fire damages Mt. Juliet home

Laurie Everett leverett@mtjulietnews.com • Dec 17, 2015 at 5:41 PM

A local family’s Christmas presents narrowly escaped flames during an afternoon house fire Christmas Eve in Mt. Juliet.

According to Assistant fire Chief Jamie Luffman, a fire broke out at the Cole family home at 9120 Brooks Crossing in Timber Trail Subdivision on Tuesday around 4:30 p.m.

“The family had left to go to a family occasion, and the father was behind and discovered a fire in the attic,” said Luffman. “He was able to use his home fire extinguisher while first responders were called.”

Luffman said a Wilson Emergency Management Agency fire truck was near and responded, as well as another WEMA engine and two from Mt. Juliet.

“Our crews worked together on the attack line, ventilation, salvage and overhaul,” said Luffman.

He said an electrical malfunction that caused the fire that was contained to the attic area and estimated about $40,000 in damage. Luffman said there were several firefighters at the scene, including five volunteers. Some of the firefighters were able to recover Christmas presents near the fire.

The father was the only one who was injured, which was a small cut on his ear, according to Luffman.

Crews were at the scene for about two hours. While the new Mt. Juliet firefighters have responded to several home fires, this was the first “substantial one,” according to Luffman.

“It could have been really bad if the father had not been home to discover the fire, the home extinguisher was not used and the WEMA engine was so close,” said Luffman. 

Recommended for You